In Newark market place there is an ancient hostelry (originally dating from the 15th century) called ‘The Olde White Hart’.
In an adjacent street – Carter Gate – roughly opposite The Arcade, there was once another pub known as ‘The New White Hart’.
The earliest mention that can be found of ‘The New White Hart’ comes in the local newspaper, The Newark Advertiser, of 7th June 1868.
It appears to have ceased operating as a pub in the late 1960s and was sold unlicensed in December 1971.
Nevertheless, over 40 years later, the painted brickwork advertising Warwicks Ales (from the Newark brewery Warwicks & Richardsons) survives, plain for all to see.
In his List of Newark Inns (unpublished typescript, 1977) G.Y. Hemingway suggests that the pub was formerly known as the Talbot which is apparently mentioned on around the same site from the 1770s when Creswell’s Newark & Notts Journal of 14th March 1778 records it as an “inn and Excise Office”.
Looking at the history of the building around the time of its sale, the GOAD retail maps reveal the following:-
1969 – Vacant
1971 – Vacant
1973 – Doug’s Fruit & Veg.
1975 – Rosalind’s Ladies Wear.