Robert Kiddey 1900-1984

Kiddey Plaque

The Kiddey Plaque in King Street

kiddey sculpting

Robert Kiddey in his King Street studio

Kiddey Self portrait

Self portrait of Robert Kiddey

P1020144

Sculptured panel at Newark Rowing Club, Farndon Road, Newark, done in the early 1950s

Kiddey - Crucifixion

Wooden panel ‘Crucifixion’. on display in Newark Parish Church.

ROBERT KIDDEY (1900-1984) – was a well-known local figure who gained National acclaim for his sculptures. He also influenced many hundreds of pupils at Newark Technical College. Many feel that, had WWII not occurred, Kiddey would have attained the recognition that his contemporaries Picasso and Henry Moore did.

He was born in Nottingham in 1900 and studied art there from 1914. He was called up in 1918 and served for 2½ years. In 1929 he worked on the frieze of the Nottingham Council House and its lions.

Also in 1929 his ‘Divine Tragedy’ was exibited in the Royal Academy.

In the 1930’s he travelled widely in the Balkans and Russia and these influences appear in his works. In 1931 he moved to Newark where he worked at the college for nearly 50 years. He also taught at other schools in the area -Nottingham, Worsop and Newark’s Magnus and High schools.

Kiddey was a popular man despite being a private individual. He was a local character who always wore a bow tie and a pork pie hat, even when sculpting.

Kiddey died in 1984.

Many of his works are exhibited in Newark Town Hall Museum and Art Gallery.

The Society erected this plaque on his last studio and home in King Street, in 2005, in collaboration with Millgate Conservation Society and Newark Arts Council