The ‘AU’ registration identifies the car as having been registered in Nottingham, but unfortunately the records of the ‘AU’ series (which would give details of ownership and date etc) do not survive.
It is outside the premises of Richmonds ‘Cooperage’ and hardware shop on Boar Lane, Newark.
In 1915 (when it is believed this picture was taken) Richmonds were selling Mex Motor Spirit and Castrol Motor Oil as shown by signs attached to the shop window. They were also agricultural engineers.
Today (2015) the building on Boar Lane is occupied by the Newfield Galleries art shop (left).
A painted advert for T. Richmond, however, may still be seen high up on the side wall of the building – see bottom picture).
An advert for the business in Cook’s Newark & District Directory of 1892 staes that the business was founded in 1815 (below).
Richmonds later moved to the corner of Kirk Gate and Church Street in Newark (to the premises currently – 2015 – occupied by North Lincs. Clothing Supplies).
NB The Briton Motor Co. Ltd. was based at Willenhall Road in Wolverhampton. They made cars between 1909 and 1928.