George ATTER

George ATTERResidence in 1901: Fairfield House, Beacon Hill Road, Newark; son of Thomas Atter of Balderton, Notts. Born at Balderton 20th November 1846; educated at a private school in Long Bennington Lincs.. Senior partner in the firm of Bainbridges & Co.. drapers of Newark; Began work there as an apprentice aged 14 in 1860, and was afterwards at Ipswich and with Messrs. Richardson, Tee, Pycroft & Co. of Manchester as a travelling salesman.

He returned to Newark in 1883 to re-join Bainbridges as a partner. He was later joined at Bainbridges by his brother, William Frederick Atter, and following the death of Mr Bainbridge, the brothers carried on the business under the existing name.

George Atter was President of the Newark Tradesmen’s Association in 1896; an Overseer of the Poor in 1885; a churchwarden at St. Leonards for four years; a member of the Board of Guardians for three years; a prominent Freemason and member of the Newton Lodge No.1661 (on The Avenue in Newark) and has filled all the offices of the Lodge and passed the chair in 1891; P.P. Grand Treasurer of the Province of Notts, being; present in an official capacity at the laying of the foundation stone of the new wing of Nottingham General Hospital during his year of office.

George Atter married in 1876, Susanne, daughter of Mr. S.R. Desforges of Langley, Norfolk, and has one daughter.


[Adapted from BRISCOE, J. Potter Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire at the opening of the Twentieth Century: Contemporary biographies Brighton: Pike & Co., 1901]