Plaque on the Church Chimney – unveiled 10.12.2000
A bright, blustery Sunday. Cold wind whistling down Church Walk. This did not deter some intrepid members from attending another of our Plaque Unveilings.
This one to indicate the Chimney of the old central heating system belonging to the Parish Church, as a result of a request from The Reverend Canon Roger Hill, Rector of Newark. After the unveiling, we were welcomed into the Church with a very warming cup of tea and cake, and a chance to chat and enjoy the tranquillity. Thanks must go to Reverend Canon Hill and all the helpers there for making us so welcome.
Unused since the 1950s, it remains one of the last vestiges of the central heating system installed in 1854, as part of the main restoration of the Parish Church during that time, by Architect, Mr (later Sir) George Gilbert Scott, in January 1853. Begun earlier in the century, at the instigation of the Vicar, John Garrett Bussell (Vicar, 1835-1874) the Church interior was to undergo a complete transformation, undoing years of neglect. The Re-opening service was held on 12th April 1855, and the Service sheet enthusiastically described the new heating and lighting arrangements
‘A heating apparatus, capable of raising the temperature of the Church to 55º Fahrenheit in the coldest weather, has been fixed under the vestry, and the lighting has been effectively carried out by brass gas standards of admirable design and workmanship, and of correct character, the chancel having, in addition to two standards more elaborate than those of the nave, a fine gasilier to correspond with the standards”
Mr Haden of Troubridge was responsible for the heating apparatus. So when you next pass through Church Walk, take a look at our Plaque!