T & W Bradley at the Wellington Foundry, Northgate, Newark. Thomas Bradley took over the Wellington (iron) Foundry on Northgate in Newark in 1874. For information on the Wellington Foundry prior to Bradley’s acquisition, click HERE
In 1876, or some time soon after, Thomas was joined in the business by his younger brother, William, the business being thereafter styled T & W Bradley.
Thomas Bradley is listed as living at Wellington House, Northgate, whilst William resided in Victoria Street.
There survive ‘Articles of Agreement’ dated 20th May 1879 between Thomas and William Bradley whereby they agree to trade as partners until 1884 (5 years) at the Wellington foundry. William was to pay Thomas £1,300, with subsequent profits to be divided three quarters to Thomas, and one quarter to William (NAO DDH.149/137).
1882 the Bradleys spent £1,000 on rebuilding etc. at the Wellington foundry, taking the lease of the same for 40 years at £80pa (NAO DDH.149/138).
In its edition of 21st February 1883 (p5 c6) the Newark Advertiser reported that the Bradleys had accepted the tender of Mr. Crosland of Newark (£645-1-6) for erecting new warehouses and offices at the foundry. Subcontracts were taken by Messrs. Dobney (joinery), Thrale (stone masonry), Bousfield (plumbing and glazing), Crossley (painting) and Dobbs (slating).
The architect was R.W.G. Hayward of Newark who designed a wooden roof in one span to cover the 84′ x 50′ warehouse.
In 1885, the Newark Advertiser (4th March 1885 p5 c4) reported on the successful tender of Smith & Lunn (£72-12-0) to erect a 60ft high chimney at the Wellington foundry, the architect being George Sheppard.
Thomas Bradley died in 1921, the business having been merged a little while earlier with the Lincoln firm of engineers, Messrs Ruston & Hornsby. William died six years later in 1927.