The main picture shows a group of motorists outside Mather’s Motor Works & Garage on Lombard Street, Newark.
Look at the last vehicle in the line-up – and in the close-up picture at the bottom of the page.
Although their location- Mather’s garage on Lombard Street – is clear, the purpose of their gathering remains a mystery. It has been suggested that the picture dates from c1914-18 owing to what appears to be a gas bag on top of the last car-an expedient of petrol shortage?
The leading motorcar (Reg no: AL3468) is a 15.9hp Calthorpe Tourer, first registered on 23rd July 1914 to John Mather as owner (Nottinghamshire registration)